Uber SUV Requirements 2017 – What You Need To Know
If you have an SUV and are looking to drive for Uber then you need to make sure your vehicle passes the Uber SUV requirements in this year, 2017. They will change slightly year after year so some of the information out there is outdated. In this post I will be going over all you need to know in order to see if your vehicle qualifies and everything else that needs to be done in order to start driving for UberSUV.
What Exactly Is UberSUV?
Don’t get UberSUV confused with any SUV you can drive for Uber. There are several service categories that you can drive SUV’s for in Uber including UberXL. But UberSUV strictly includes high-end all black SUV’s, whereas with UberXL you can drive lower-end SUV’s that don’t need to be in tiptop shape.
Another difference with UberSUV is that you must have commercial vehicle insurance.
A good way to put it all is like this.. UberX is to UberXL what UberBLACK is to UberSUV (credit that to uberestimate.com). Basically UberSUV is the “big” version of UberBLACK.
And now on to all the requirements. What are they in 2017, here you go…
- Must be an SUV (No full sized vans or trucks)
- Must have black colored exteriors with no cosmetic damage
- Must have black colored leather or vinyl (vegan leather) interiors with no cosmetic damage
- Must have windows and A/C that works
- Must be able to seat at least 6 passengers
- Must not have commercial branding (not market taxis, government cars, etc.)
- Must be able to pass a vehicle inspection (some cities such as Salt Lake City don’t require this, but most do)
- Must have commercial insurance
- Must have vehicle registration (your name does not have to be on this)
- Must have an airport badge
And then lastly, your SUV must not be older than a specified age. But this age varies depending on what make and model SUV you are driving.
Popular SUV’s & Their Age Requirement
Most SUV’s are required to be no older than 2009, h0wever there are some that can be as old as 2007 and others that have to be as new as 2011. Below are some popular SUV’s that are UberSUV qualified along with their age requirements…
Must Be 2007 Or Newer
Cadillac Escalade, Cadillac Escalade EXT, Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
Must Be 2009 Or Newer
Acura MDX, Audi Q7, Chevrolet LTZ, Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Excursion, Ford Expedition, GMC Yukon, GMC Yukon XL, Infiniti QX60, Infiniti QX80, Lincoln MKT, Lincoln Navigator, Mercedes-Benz V-Class, Mercedes-Benz Valente, Mercedes-Benz Viano, Mercedes-Benz Vito (2009 or later)
Must Be 2001 Or Newer
Ford Explorer, Lexus GX
Thinking About Applying? Why Wait? Its Easy!
1) First you need to fill out the online application at uber.com.
- You will fill in your name, email, phone #, location, etc. and you will also have to give Uber your SSN so they can perform a background check
2) Get Your Vehicle Inspected
- Go to a Greenlight Hub to do this. But before you go you might want to print out the inspection form on Uber.com. They will fill out the form and then you can upload it to your account.
3) Wait A Few Days
- Your background check should be cleared in about 5 days, so all you need to do now is wait
4) Hit The Road
- You applied, you got your vehicle inspected, and you passed your background check. You are good to go and can now go out and start making money on your own time.